Sick & Annual Leave

Annual Leave

The amount of annual leave, sometimes called personal leave or vacation time, is accrued based on time of service within the federal government. Annual leave is accrued increments of 4 to 8 hours per pay period. A pay period is every two weeks and typically 80 hours. If you work more or less than 80 hours in a pay period you will not accrue any annual.

Employees new to the government earn 4 hours of annual leave per 80 hours worked. If you are a full-time employee, that equates to 13 days of paid personal leave per year. After 3 years, federal service employees earn 6 hours per pay period or 19.5 days per year. After 15 years of full-time federal service, employees earn 8 hours of paid personal leave per pay period which is equal to 26 days off per year.

When an employee leaves a government job – either for retirement or to pursue another non-federal job – the employee will receive monetary compensation for unused annual leave. Employees may only accrue so much annual leave. If stationed in the U.S. you can accrue no more than 30 days of annual leave; if you are stationed outside of the U.S. you may accrue no more than 45 days of annual leave; and if you are a member of the Senior Executive Service you may accrue up to 90 days of annual leave before the time is forfeited.

Sick Leave

Sick leave is always earned at a rate of 4 hours per pay period. Sick leave can only be used for an approved reason such as illness; illness of a dependent or family member; and maternity or paternity leave. Sick leave can be credited towards retirement time but employees will not be credited for unused sick leave when leaving the government for a non-federal job. There is no maximum amount of sick leave that an employee may accrue.

It is important to know that employees can use up to 12 weeks of sick leave for maternity or paternity leave but once sick leave has expired an employee will not be paid for the time off

To learn more about Sick and Annual Leave and to set up a complimentary review of your benefits with one of our specialists, contact us today.

Source: FederalPay.Org